This blog post is a shout out to my friend Alex. In my last post, I asked if anyone had any suggests and my good friend Alex called me out in his Instagram story asking if I would do a post about salad topping for people who don’t enjoy eating salads. So this one’s for you Alex!
First, I’m going to share my favourite salad recipe:
- 2 Scoops of Your Favourite Ice Cream
- Chocolate Chips
- Chocolate Syrup
BAM! Ice Cream Salad 🙂
I’m just kidding! Not about the fact that ice cream salad is my favourite but here’s some actual salad topping ideas:
- Cheese: goat cheese, feta, parmesan, cheddar, blue cheese, fried halloumi, shredded cheddar cheese
- Nuts: almonds, peanuts, walnuts, pecans, cashews, sunflower or pumpkin seeds
- Fruit: strawberries, raspberries, mango, blueberries, dried cranberries, dried pineapple, apple slices, clementine slices. pomegranate seeds
- Veggies: slices beets, tomatoes, avocado, shredded carrot, red onions, cucumber, artichokes, roasted pumpkin, sweet potato or squash, corn, red cabbage, slice radishes, red pepper, green pepper
- Protein: grilled chicken, steak strips, BACON, crispy pancetta or prosciutto, chopped egg, grilled shrimp, chickpeas, beans
- Salad base: iceberg lettuce, green leaf lettuce, red leaf lettuce, romaine, mixed greens, kale, spinach, arugula, quinoa
- Dressings: this is the absolute key to your salad. You NEED to find a good dressing you like and there are just way too many possibilities for me to just list
- You can buy pre-made, bottled dressings at the store like ranch, french, caeser, or you can make one yourself by mixing different ingredients like olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper and tarragon. I definitely recommend looking up homemade recipes because I personally like them a lot better.
- Extras: croutons, crispy onions, crispy tortilla strips (you can usually find fun and crunchy salad toppers in the salad dressing aisle of your grocery store!)
You have to be willing to be experimental and try different things until you find flavours you like together. You can look at the above list and do some mixing and matching. For example: kale, tomatoes, avocado, sunflower seeds, dried cranberries, chicken, bacon, and a homemade dressing like the one I mentioned above. Or: spinach, cucumber, goat cheese, strawberries, and crispy prosciutto with a balsamic dressing. There are endless options. Usually my biggest inspiration is Pinterest or when I go out and have a really good salad at a restaurant I like (rare that I’ll order salad at a restaurant). I’ll try to recreate it or even ask for the recipe!
Alex, and any other non-salad lovers, I hope this helps!
If you have a favourite salad recipe, feel free to leave it in the comments below 🙂